How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 26824
Experience:  18+ years of high-volume criminal defense work from arraignment through plea or trial.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Went to jail with invalid license

Customer Question

Went to jail for driving with invalid license for surcharge in Texas. I paid the surcharges. What should I do next? Get a lawyer. What kind? Live in small town and police searched my car without my consent. Was told I didn't use my blinker within 100 feet of turning while the officer was so close on my tail. Constantly followed when I return from work at night. I'm a nurse so I work shift work.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Driving without a valid license is not a traffic violation. It's a class B misdemeanor. You need a criminal lawyer. If you're a nurse you don't want a conviction on your record. If you fight the case, your lawyer would be able to challenge the stop and the search at a special pre-trial hearing. Alternatively, if you want to resolve this quickly, he may be able to bargain this down to a traffic infraction or find some other way to keep a conviciton off of your record.