How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 27767
Experience:  18+ years of high-volume criminal defense work from arraignment through plea or trial.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there probation before judgement in for a traffic

Customer Question

Is there probation before judgement in Virginia for a traffic violation?
JA: OK. The Traffic Lawyer will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I got a speeding ticket for 73 in a 60mph zone. If I go to court, is probation before judgement an option like it is in Maryland?
JA: Anything else I can tell the Traffic Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: Also- do you know how many points are associated with that?
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Traffic Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.


No, unfortunately, while a PBJ is an option on a traffic violation in Maryland, there is no PBJ available in the state of Virginia. This is an infraction which would get you 3 points and a fine.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since there is no PBJ, is it common for a judge to reduce the points if you go and plead guilty?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

No. If you plead guilty, to the charge, it's a 3-point offense. You would have to negotiate a reduction of charges/points/fine before you plead guilty, otherwise you're stuck with the 3 points.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just go up and state why I would like to negotiate instead of saying guilty or not guilty?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

If there's a prosecutor in the court, you can talk to the prosecutor before the case gets called. If the police prosecute their own cases, you'd talk to the police officer before the case is called.

If there's no prosecutor and no police officer shows up, you can ask the judge to dismiss the case.