Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic Law

Is there probation before judgement in for a traffic

Customer Question
Is there probation before judgement...
Is there probation before judgement in Virginia for a traffic violation?
JA: OK. The Traffic Lawyer will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I got a speeding ticket for 73 in a 60mph zone. If I go to court, is probation before judgement an option like it is in Maryland?
JA: Anything else I can tell the Traffic Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: Also- do you know how many points are associated with that?
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Traffic Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Traffic Law
4/4/2016
Traffic Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney replied 1 year ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney

No, unfortunately, while a PBJ is an option on a traffic violation in Maryland, there is no PBJ available in the state of Virginia. This is an infraction which would get you 3 points and a fine.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Since there is no PBJ, is it common for a judge to reduce the points if you go and plead guilty?

No. If you plead guilty, to the charge, it's a 3-point offense. You would have to negotiate a reduction of charges/points/fine before you plead guilty, otherwise you're stuck with the 3 points.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just go up and state why I would like to negotiate instead of saying guilty or not guilty?

If there's a prosecutor in the court, you can talk to the prosecutor before the case gets called. If the police prosecute their own cases, you'd talk to the police officer before the case is called.

If there's no prosecutor and no police officer shows up, you can ask the judge to dismiss the case.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney