Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I got a ticket 18 years ago in north Carolina my grandson…

Customer Question
I got a ticket 18...
I got a ticket 18 years ago in north Carolina my grandson was sick we are trying to take him to the doctor my daughter was driving first she got pulled over and got a ticket then I started to drive because she was shook up and then I got a ticket about 15 minutes later same cop we live in Salt Lake City Utah so we could not go to court my daughter paid her $400 ticket I was very ill and did not get my ticket but now I'm better thanks to the Lord and I would like to get my license reinstated I just feel like we were done an injustice I felt like the cop could have escorted us to the hospital long story shortI lost a daughter in childbirth and I need to get my license and I'm on disability and I was just wondering if there's any way that I could have my fine reduced anything would help if you can help me could you please answer Maryann *****
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Traffic Law
3/30/2016
Traffic Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am afraid there is some very bad news on this matter. I am afraid that while you may have had some mitigating hardship factor to have gone to court back when this ticket was issued and most likely would have received a "prayer for judgment continued" had you asked for it at that time, after 18 years, your fine and penalty is written in stone for the most part. There is only one possible long shot chance you could have and that would be to get an attorney, which would cost about $400, to file in the court where the ticket was issued to vacate the conviction. It is a long shot because courts rarely exercise their discretion to vacate such a conviction (you have your long medical condition as an excuse, which the judge may be sympathetic to depending on what judge you get), but it is the only possibility you have other than paying what they now say you owe, because 18 years of not taking action is not looked upon favorably by the court in many circumstances.
So, going to court filing to vacate the conviction or reduce the fine is going to require a local attorney in that county who will likely charge around $400, but other than that you have to pay the fine and penalties if you want your license back.
Thank you
Thank you for your reply.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.