Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic Law

I was convicted of a DUI in DC but my license is in

Customer Question
I was convicted of a...
I was convicted of a DUI in Washington DC but my license is in Maryland. My sentence was 9 months probation, 100.00 assessment fee, my conditions were 3 classes but they never told me to surrender my liscence at all. Will my liscence be okay. My probation officer said the classes are 1 day classes and submit those. I have a CDL I am a bus operator and this is my first offense.
JA: OK. The Traffic Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Traffic Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: That's it.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Traffic Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Traffic Law
3/26/2016
Traffic Lawyer: CriminalDefense, Attorney replied 1 year ago
CriminalDefense
CriminalDefense, Attorney

Good morning. Would you mind sharing with me what your question is?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just typed it

Your CDL is going to be effected. Even a minor traffic violation has a negative effect on a CDL, so the DUI offense, even though it is out of State, is going to be effected. Even if the court did not take any action when it imposed sentence, the State of of MD can and may be placed on notice of the DUI and take administrative action and suspended the CDL. They would need to give you notice of this but you can continue to check its status and drive as long as it is not suspended and there is no other evidence indicating that it is. I know it is not what you were hoping to hear but typically, even out of state DUI offenses are reported back to the home state.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
JustAnswerAsk a questionRemember to rate your expert here after you get an answer and finish talking.Online nowI was convicted of a DUI in Washington DC...I was convicted of a DUI in Washington DC but my license is in Maryland. My sentence was 9 months probation, 100.00 assessment fee, my conditions were 3 classes but they never told me to surrender my liscence at all. Will my liscence be okay. My probation officer said the classes are 1 day classesand submit those. I have a CDL I am a bus operator and this is my first offense

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I read that in the state of MD. That your first offense maybe suspended unless you take the courses. I work for a transportation company and I have coworkers who stii have their license they just have to take classes
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I didn't say it wouldnt effect me
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello
Sorry for the delay. Allow me a moment
It is important to keep in mind that in your case there are three possible ways for the CDL to be suspended. The first is thorough court action but you shared it was not part of your sentence. The second is through State action and for that to be done this would need to be reported from Washington and then Maryland could take action as well but you would received notice. The final way would be through you employer and their decision to simply suspend you from driving as a result of the DUI and company policy. Typically when driving is within the scope of your employment and an employee obtains a dui the company takes action and you may have a duty to report this. Now, if they will not take action if you take the course that is at their discretion but I have never seen a CDL remain in effect when a party obtained a DUI conviction
CriminalDefense
CriminalDefense
CriminalDefense, Attorney