How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 116780
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are Canadian citizens and have a winter home in

Customer Question

We are Canadian citizens and have a winter home in California. Can I leave my Canadian registered car with Canadian insurance year round in my California winter home? We would drive the car less than 6 months a year. Is there any legal requirement to register the car in California? Thanks.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am afraid that if you leave your car in CA, you need to actually register it in CA and pay the CA registration fees and smog fees. This is something the cash strapped state of CA has been cracking down on lately and they even have a hotline to award people who call in and snitch about someone having a vehicle in CA that is not registered in CA. There is a process to register a vehicle kept in CA more than 30 continuous days for a non-resident and you can see that at: