Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic Law

I received a red light ticket and paid it....NOW, I received

Customer Question
a letter from AZ Department...
I received a red light ticket and paid it....NOW, I received a letter from AZ Department of Transportation that I have to take a class ! Is this correct?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Traffic Law
3/24/2016
Traffic Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Attorney replied 1 year ago
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer.

While I'm pretty surprised that a state would require this for a red-light violation, it is correct. From the Arizona Department of Transportation website:

"Each time you are convicted or forfeit bail for a moving traffic violation, points are assessed against your permanent driving record. If you accumulate 8 or more points in any 12-month period, you may be required to attend Traffic Survival School (TSS), or your driving privilege may be suspended up to 12 months. All convictions for red-light/stop-sign running, aggressive driving, moving violations resulting in death or serious injury, and the first moving violation for drivers under 18 years of age require successful completion of Traffic Survival School following assignment. Failure to successfully complete Traffic Survival School when ordered will result in the suspension of the person’s driving privilege.

Traffic Survival Schools, not to be confused with Defensive Driving Schools administered through the Arizona Supreme Court, are designed to reach individuals who have exhibited a disregard for traffic laws and the safety of others. The TSS Program attempts to modify the behavior of these drivers by teaching them how to avoid adverse traffic situations by increasing their knowledge of Arizona traffic laws, defining their responsibilities while driving, and most importantly, improving their attitude toward safe driving. These schools train and assist errant drivers in the proper attitude and techniques in the operation of motor vehicles and strengthen their knowledge of state motor vehicle laws."

Red light running is considered a moving violation causing a 2 point assessment on your driving record as long as there was no collision/injury/or death.

If you need clarification or additional information, please reply, and I'll be happy to assist you further. Thank you.

If you have further questions or need clarification about this matter, please reply, and I'll be happy to assist you. Otherwise, kindly remember to leave me a positive rating (3-5 stars) as that is the only way experts on this site are paid for our time and expertise, even if you have previously left a deposit. Thank you.

RobertJDFL, Attorney