How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 118649
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a ticket this morning in Arkansas,

Customer Question

i received a ticket this morning in Arkansas, 27-50-302(a)(7)...speeding -more than 15 mph over limit.....the officer stated I could mail fine in....I noticed however it is considerwd a misdemeanor, was the officer mistaken?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
No, this is not a mistake, under AR statute 27-50-302, speeding more than 15 miles over the limit is a class C misdemeanor, which is punishable by up to 30 days in jail and a fine up to $500. You need to NOT plead guilty by mailing in the fine, you need to plead not guilty and go to court and argue that you were not going that fast. Most times they will give you a chance to meet with the prosecutor and the prosecutor would be willing (if you have a clean driving record) to give you a reduction in the charge to a violation and let you pay the reduced fine. However, because this is indeed a criminal violation, it would be in your best interest to use a local attorney to represent you to seek the reduction or perhaps a dismissal if the officer does not appear in court. It could also save you a court appearance because most times a local attorney can handle this type of case without you having to be present.