How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald, Esq Your Own Question
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 3920
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Gerald, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am planning to buy a 5th wheel RV and truck with a GCWR

Customer Question

I am planning to buy a 5th wheel RV and truck with a GCWR over 26,000lbs.
I will own the RV and truck and register the vehicles in Texas.
I understand a resident of Texas would require a class A non-CDL license to drive this combination. This is also the case in many other states.
However, I am a UK resident and plan to enter the US on the visa waiver program (max 90 days each visit) three times a year for a maximum of two months each visit. I would have to use my standard UK drivers’ license, as I cannot obtain a local license.
Can you please confirm whether, in these circumstances, a foreign license holder can drive vehicles with a GCWR over 26,000lbs in states such as Texas?
Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Actually, to lawfully drive in the US you should obtain what is called a "Limited Term" drivers license which are specifically issued to foreign visitors in your situation. The limited term permit will allow you to drive the truck and 5th wheel combo.

This link describes this:

You only need one permit, you do not need one in each state.

To obtain the Limited Term permit you need:

Unexpired foreign passport with admission stamp Visitor for pleasure (tourist in visa waiver program) annotated “WT/WB” or I 94 Note: The applicant may not be able meet residency/domicile requirements. *Visa waiver program countries: Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom. 7

Contact the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles to obtain the permit.

I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck,

Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Here is the federal law on the subject:

Good luck.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear *****,Many thanks for your help, however, there appears to be a couple of issues that would need to overcome:- the temporary permit would not cover my 5th wheel as it is well over 10,000lbs:
Eligible Use
The permit is available for passenger vehicles, motorcycles, private buses, trailers, and semitrailers with a gross weight not exceeding 10,000 lbs., and for light commercial vehicles not exceeding a gross vehicle weight of 10,000 lbs.-there is a limit of three permits for thirty days each per vehicle so this would only be a temporary solution :
TxDMV issues a 30-Day Permit for the temporary movement of a vehicle subject to Texas registration laws. A 30-Day Permit is valid for a period of 30 days from the effective date reflected on the permit.No more than three 30-Day Permits will be issued per vehicle.I very much hope that you can identify some way through these problems.regards
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for that additional information. I do not know how to get around the weight limit. I believe the regulation I referenced allows for an up to one year permit.

I am going to Opt out so that another expert may be able to help you at no additional charge.

Please do not rate me or respond so that this question will remain open to another expert to see.

Good luck.