Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic Law

I got a speeding ticket in PA and have a VA license 83 in a

Customer Question
I got a speeding ticket...
I got a speeding ticket in PA and have a VA license for going 83 in a 55 mile zone. I thought it was a 65 and thought I was going about 70 and sped up to pass a car. This is considered reckless driving in VA. Should I try to mediate for lesser offense
JA: OK. The Traffic Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet.
JA: Is there anything else the Traffic Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: No this is my first speeding ticket.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $13 after the Traffic Lawyer responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Traffic Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Traffic Law
3/6/2016
Traffic Lawyer: CriminalDefense, Attorney replied 1 year ago
CriminalDefense
CriminalDefense, Attorney

Good morning. Are you looking to fight this or just resolve it? Also, if this your first offense for reckless driving?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I honestly don't know how I would fight it. I was hoping to find a way to plead down because at this point the ticket from PA would wreak havoc on my points on Virginia. I had minor traffic infractions buts those have been over 10 years at least never speeding.

Thank you for the additional information. If you wanted to attack it, it is certainly in your best interest to retain a traffic ticket defense attorney to represent you. The first thing which they will want to do, is review the face of the citation and see if there is a legal basis to get it dismissed. If not, they will then have to look over the facts of the case and decide if it is in your best interest to work out a plea deal or to take the case to trial and make the State prove the allegation(s) against you. The officer will need to be present. If he/she fails to appear at trial, the case will likely be dismissed, unless a continuance is granted by the Judge, upon the showing of good cause. If the officer does appear, your attorney will be given a chance to cross examine them and attack their credibility. The attorney is going to want to inspect their documents and log book, to make sure that the speed measuring device was properly calibrated, that they have the citation logged and are certified to use the equipment. Moreover, they will question them about their training and experience, trying to create doubt that they may have not known what they were doing and improperly measured your speed. They will also raise any other possible defenses, which you may have, to try and obtain a finding of not guilty.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Ely, Attorney