Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I have a warrant from 1997 to appear ticket in Waco, TX. the…

Customer Question
I have a warrant from...
I have a warrant from 1997 for failure to appear for a ticket in Waco, TX. the original ticket was for failure to maintain liability insurance. Is there a statue of limitations on this. It has not shown up in any background checks but my parents keep getting collections papers and Texas round up papers.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Traffic Law
3/4/2016
Traffic Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Attorney replied 2 years ago
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you today.

Unfortunately, there is no statute of limitations on a warrant. Nor is there a statute of limitations on a collection action or criminal/traffic matter once the process has been undertaken. A statute of limitations only prevents the state or private individual from bringing a case after a certain point. For example, if the statute of limitations to write someone a citation for failure to maintain insurance was one year, and you didn't receive the citation for 18 months, then you would have an argument that the citation was void due to the statute of limitations having run out. But once the action has commenced, the statute of limitations no longer applies.

If you need clarification or additional information, please REPLY and I'll be happy to assist you further. Otherwise, please remember to leave me a positive rating (3-5 stars) before signing out, as that is the only way experts on this site are compensated for our time and expertise, even though you may have paid a deposit to the site. Thank you!