How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 29985
Experience:  Lawyer. Former judicial law clerk. Worked for District Attorney's Office in Traffic Court.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A rural mail carrier did a U-turn on a FM road in Texas. The

Customer Question

A rural mail carrier did a U-turn on a FM road in Texas. The road was*****with no shoulders. The carrier pulled off to the right of the road. My son started to pass, it was a legal to pass but the carrier started his turn and the two collided. My son had been following the carrier for around a quarter of a mile. The carrier insurance told me before the police report that their driver had his left turn signal on, so therefore the turn was legal and are not paying. We finally got the DPS report shows that the carrier failed to yield but the insurance is maintaining their story. I am just trying to decide how far to pursue.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Putting a turn signal on doesn't give a person the right of way. If I've pulled off the road to the right and used my left turn signal, I have to wait until the way is clear before proceeding, whether I'm merging back into traffic, turning into a driveway on the left, or making a U-turn. The cars currently on the road, driving forward, have the right of way over a signalling vehicle pulled over on the side of the road. If the insurance company will not pay for the damages, your son can sue the mail carrier (and the postal service) for the cost of repairing the damages to his vehicle.

There's a concept in the law called "negligence per se," which says that, if you break a law and then an accident occurs, you're AUTOMATICALLY responsible. That means your son can bring the evidence of the ticket to civil court and use it to show that the carrier caused the accident. Another option is to send a demand letter to the insurance company, via certified mail, giving them one last chance to pay or have their insured get sued. Your son can write it himself (unless he's under 18), or he can hire a local attorney to do it. But if he goes to court, he should be able to win, based on what you've said.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.