How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-law
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 19651
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is ***** *****. My son's car is registered in Nevada

Customer Question

Hi, my name is ***** *****. My son's car is registered in Nevada and he has a Nevada license; he works all over. He is estranged from his wife and has been. He left his car in California and she has since sold the car. The title is in his name only and the funds to pay for the car came from myself and his father. Can she do that? California is saying she's within her rights to sell it, when he tried to report it stolen, as essentially it is stolen. We will be reporting it stolen from Nevada as well.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I did, its above
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Traffic Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

No, she cannot do that even if the property is a community property. Both of them must consent to the sale. In this case, the car was not even a community property. It was his personal property because he did not use the funds that he accumulated during the marriage to purchase the car. The funds came from a third source: you and the father. So, his wife has no legal rights to sell the car without his consent. I am not sure how the buyer was able to get clear title on the car when your son did not sign off on the sale.