Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

My husband just got a must appear in ***** ***** county 83…

Customer Question
My husband just got...

My husband just got a must appear in ***** ***** county for doing 83 in a 70. He dint think he was going that fast. Next steps?

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

We're from D.C. Visiting sick father-in-law in morehead city. Is there a way out of this?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Traffic Law
2/18/2016
Traffic Lawyer: CriminalDefense, Attorney replied 2 years ago
CriminalDefense
CriminalDefense, Attorney

Good afternoon. With that being said, it is certainly in his best interest to retain a traffic ticket defense attorney to represent you. They could likely appear on his behalf, waiving his appearance, advising the court that he lives out of State and the hardship which appearing would cause. The first thing which they will want to do, is review the face of the citation and see if there is a legal basis to get it dismissed. If not, they will then have to look over the facts of the case and decide if it is in his best interest to work out a plea deal or to take the case to trial and make the State prove the allegation(s) against him. The officer will need to be present. If he/she fails to appear at trial, the case will likely be dismissed, unless a continuance is granted by the Judge, upon the showing of good cause. If the officer does appear, your attorney will be given a chance to cross examine them and attack their credibility. The attorney is going to want to inspect their documents and log book, to make sure that the speed measuring device was properly calibrated, that they have the citation logged and are certified to use the equipment. Moreover, they will question them about their training and experience, trying to create doubt that they may have not known what they were doing and improperly measured your speed. They will also raise any other possible defenses, which he may have, to try and obtain a finding of not guilty.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!