Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I moved last May 2015 from California to South Carolina with…

Customer Question
I moved last May 2015...
I moved last May 2015 from California to South Carolina with my four vehicles all registered in California. During the move all records for two of the vehicles were lost. I have been trying for over three months to secure replacements Titles for the two lost ones for purposes of registering them in South Carolina - having filed a change of address, application for duplicate title, providing my new driver's license with photo, a passport photo identity verification; however, a replacement Title will not be issued until I can provide a copy of mey last registration. That was lost. I have requested a replacement over two months ago. Still no luck. A DMV agent hung up on my request for assistance, and the others that I have talked to say they can't help me. What shall I do? Do I need an attorney?
Vernon Shehan
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Traffic Law
2/17/2016
Traffic Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You do not need an attorney, you need a title/registration service company who will pursue the documents you need. For example: http://registrationexpressgroup.com/vehicle-title-services/

or

http://www.cartagz.com/

or

http://www.esquiretitling.com/services/

These companies provide duplicate registration/title services in CA and can get you the information you require without dealing with the CA DMV, which is virtually impossible to get any direct assistance from.

I actually tried the first company that you suggested. Their response was unable to assist.

Thank you for your reply.

Other than using one of those companies, you are at the CA DMV mercy to apply for duplicate registration and then duplicate title. The last one on the list has good reviews as well.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney