Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic Law

I live in Connecticut. I cosigned a car loan with my

Customer Question
I live in Connecticut.I cosigned...
I live in Connecticut.I cosigned a car loan with my daughter-in-law.Does my name have to be on the car registration while she is making payments? Can she carry her own insurance or do I have to be on the insurance also?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Traffic Law
2/12/2016
Traffic Lawyer: Ely, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Ely, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Your name does not have to be on the title of the vehicle, or the registration. However the lender may require it as part of the loan contract.

Finally regardless of the above, a co-signor would still be liable for the loan even if their name is ***** ***** the title or registration.

Generally speaking, only the driver has to have insurance under state law. However as stated before, the lender may mandate that all signors be covered and they have a right to do this, if so.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never rated positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I found your statement below to be offensive and rude.It is unprofessional to insinuate that a customer would rate you negatively for not providing information that the customer WANTS to hear. The purpose of "asking" is to obtain correct/accurate information.I have complained to JustAnswer about this statement and requested a refunded. The content of your answer became irrelevant to once I read the statement."Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty"
I am sorry you thought my statement to be offensive and rude. This was of course not the intent.
Unfortunately the way the system is set up, people sometimes shoot the messenger.
All the best in your matter.
Ely, Attorney