Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I recently got a ticket in orange county redlight violation…

Customer Question
I recently got a...

I recently got a ticket in orange county for a redlight violation by camera, I wanted to know if there was any way to beat this ticket?

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I was driving with my family and looked by at my son who was sleeping in an awkward position and then I looked forward and i was just over the line driving the speed limit and by the time I could react it was too late i saw the flash and the camera took picture

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Traffic Law
1/31/2016
Traffic Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am afraid that Orange County, pursues these tickets. The owner of the vehicle is liable to pay the ticket unless they identify the true driver. I raise that issue because the only real way out of these citations in Orange county is to prove that there was another driver. If you can prove the light was defective by subpoenaing the traffic engineer and the records on the red light and the camera repair and maintenance records and if you can show the camera or the light was defective that is the only other way to beat the ticket.
when would I prove the light was defective by subpoenaing the traffic engineer and the records on the red light and the camera repair and maintenance records and to show y the camera or the light was defective? is this before fighting the ticket? or do I request all this when it comes time to fight the ticket and set up a court date?
Thank you for your reply.
You would have to plead not guilty to the ticket. Then before your hearing date you have to subpoena this information or use an attorney to fight the ticket and do so. You need to first plead not guilty, then you get a court date, while waiting for the court date you ask the court clerk for a subpoena to the traffic engineer and seek the records prior to your court date of your hearing.
Is there a reason why I would need a lawyer to do this and I could not simply do it myself?
Thank you for your reply.
Well, in all honesty having a local attorney who frequents that court regularly can get you the best deal, even a dismissal, easier than you can fight for one yourself. Also, if you are going to trial they are most familiar with the process of getting subpoenas issued and where to serve them.
Some people find it worth the $300 or so that the attorney charges just to get the ticket dismissed or fine reduced so it does not go onto their insurance and increase their insurance premiums. The attorneys who frequent the court regularly have a working relationship with the prosecutors and that is how they get the best deals.
However, yes you can do it yourself and yes if you want, it is just more work for you if you have never done it before.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney