Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Ok I just moved to Texas in October from Oklahoma I'm 19 and…

Customer Question
Ok I just moved to...
Ok I just moved to Texas in October from Oklahoma I'm 19 and I blew a .23 can Texas suspend my license even though it is an out of state license? The Texas department of public safety sent me a letter stating that "Your Texas driver license, permit and/or privilege to operate a motor vehicle has been suspended. Has my Oklahoma drivers license been suspended?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Traffic Law
1/29/2016
Traffic Lawyer: Legal-Kal, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Legal-Kal
Legal-Kal, Attorney

Good afternoon:

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to provide general information relating to your question.

I am assuming your OK DL had been suspended, correct?

Section 521.201(4) of the Transportation Code does indeed allow Texas to suspended your DL if it has been suspended by another state.

The section states: "The department may not issue any license to a person who holds a driver's license issued by this state or another state or country that is revoked, canceled, or under suspension"

Even if you do not have a Texas DL yet, this section still applies. Pragmatically, it means that you cannot try to obtain your Texas DL while it is suspended (which will be for the same period of time that your OK DL is suspended).

Every state in the U.S. has this law when it pertains to a suspension or revocation based on a DUI conviction or a violation of the Implied Consent laws. Otherwise, people will simply go to another state to get a DL when it has previously been suspended, thereby rendering the point of a suspension/revocation moot and baseless.

Please ask any questions you have regarding my response.

If you have no questions, please remember to click ACCEPT and rate my assistance as that is the only way experts can be credited for helping customers.

Good evening:

It appears that you have read my last response to your question.

If you have no follow ups, please remember to click ACCEPT and rate my assistance as that is the only way experts here can be credited for taking the time to assist customers without thorough and complete answers to their questions.

Please remember to comply with the Terms of Service and click ACCEPT if you have no other questions based on what I have provided.

Please remember to ACCEPT my answer as I have provided you accurate information.

Legal-Kal
Legal-Kal
Legal-Kal, Attorney