Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I received a "dangerous driving/wrong side of the street"

Customer Question
Hi, I received a "dangerous...
Hi, I received a "dangerous driving/wrong side of the street" ticket last night. the violation number is ***** I was wondering how many points this ticket carries, and what the fine is. I can't find any information about this violation number anywhere online, so I'm confused about the seriousness of the ticket and wether or not I should attempt to fight it. I live/got the ticket in NYC.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Traffic Law
1/27/2016
Traffic Lawyer: Samuel-II, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Samuel-II
Samuel-II, Attorney

Hello

The citation is 4-02(c) And it can be found at this LINK And it states:

(c) Dangerous driving. No person shall operate a vehicle in a manner that will endanger any person or property.

However, I do not see where the penalty carries any points.

Okay, the ticket isn't for "reckless" driving right? That was one of my major concerns, because i know that "reckless" driving is a major violation and every time I look up "dangerous driving" I get "reckless" driving, even though the violation number is ***** different

Correct. It does not cite a reckless driving. Yes. The same thing happened to me when I was doing the research here. And that is why I provided you the link.

I suggest it is not reckless. And with the snow, is it possible your defense is the road was not clear?

Okay, that's great that it's not for reckless driving and yes, that's exactly what my defense is. If the ticket is only two points or something like that, I'm not sure if it's worth fighting it because Staten Island judges don't really budge on these matters, and I heard if I take it to court, the judge can turn around and suspended my license, even though I have no other points 😳

I am not aware of how a court can suspend a license without cause such as accumulation of points. Now, reckless driving does carry 3 points, as I recall in my research.

I suggest you consider arguing it was a blizzard and you had no other option. At the very least, the court can lower the fine, but you would make that up in court costs. And should there be points, that I cannot locate, because of the condition of the roads, I suggest a court would not impose the points. It's kinda crazy that you would get a ticket for that if the roads were snow covered.

The best scenario, of course, is the ticket is dismissed entirely because of the weather.

I think reckless driving is actually 5 points, I really hope that's not how many points this one is...and that was going to be my argument, but, I didn't get a picture of it and that road is pretty clear now and my whole problem is that this all happened at 4:30 am and I was on my way home from work so I was exhausted and I didn't notice the cops lights were on, for what they claimed was two blocks before I pulled over, and they threatened to write me a ticket for "evading police", but didn't and they made me take a breathalyzer and everything.

This is not reckless according to the code that was cited on the ticket. I suggest you can add that it was 4:30 in the morning, you were coming home from work, in a blizzard.

And that is why you did not notice the police because you were exhausted and also worried because of the weather trying to stay focused.

Samuel-II
Samuel-II
Samuel-II, Attorney