How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 118638
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is siva and i got two tickets and one is and prudent

Customer Question

Customer: hi my name is ***** ***** i got two tickets and one is for speeding and prudent another one is for house damage
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i was just coming from albany Broadway to NJ , and my fiend was driving the car and after some time he got abdomen pain and not able to drive , hence i took the driving responsibility and tried to go for a friends house take medicine actually i dont have the licence , but i have the Ind***** *****cence , due to this unfortunate sictuation i had to drive my friend to his friend's house so in that sictuation unfortunately i was panic and the car which i was driving was very old car 2011 model Honda Sedon i hit the house in that confusion now i want to write a letter to Judge for accepting the guilt ..
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

If the ticket was issued in your name, and does not require a court appearance, there is no need to send the judge a letter accepting guilt. All you have to do is pay the ticket, which you should be able to do online. You only have to talk to the judge if the ticket says "Appearance required." In that scenario, a letter unfortunately would not help you, because you'd have to go to court in person and talk to the judge. You'd be allowed to request a translator to explain some of the more technical terms. Many people who are fluent in English still find that helpful if it's not their first language. Or you could hire a local attorney to go to court with you.

However, the first step is to wait for the ticket. You should get something in the mail, and most likely, you'll just be able to pay it.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lucy,Thank you so much for your quick reply.
I already got the ticket and the police official clearly told me that either I need to attend the court or I can send the mail response by accepting guilt or not accepting guilt. So I decided to send mail response for which I need a draft letter which i can send it to the court.
Please note that the other day I went to court office to inquire about the ticket and the penalties which i need to pay, the official also told me that, Judge will decide the fine and penalties and they can't tell by looking at online or somewhere in the system. And if i want to respond for that ticket I can respond via mail or I can directly attend the court and give the explanation.Now I decided to accept the guilt and want to send the mail explanation to the court, so kindly help me the procedure and provide the draft letter.Many thanks,
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for misunderstanding your question. This is a question and answer site. We are not able to provide legal representation through this service. Any local criminal law attorney can draft a letter for you. Most lawyers charge a flat fee to handle traffic-related matters (which is significantly more than what we charge to answer questions, for good reason.) A good place to find someone in your area is

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lucy,
I am sorry to say this , actually I did not get the expected answer. However, can you help on the below question?Police officer told me that If I want I can sign and and send the ticket to court via mail. My court date is in the next week and I wanted to submit ticket by accepting my guilty via mail. So rather than approaching courier or post can I directly go ahead and submit that to the court office today? Because next week I can't take time-off from my office as i have few project deadlines.Please suggest
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you sign and submit the ticket and accept guilt, you can make a written explanation, but in general the written explanation is not usually believed by the judge without a personal appearance. So it would be the best practice I am sorry to tell you, to go to court in person and appear and explain your case to the prosecutor, because in most of these cases the prosecutor will agree to a lower fine or even what is called a deferred adjudication, meaning that you may pay the fine but the ticket is not reported and is dismissed if you get no other violations in 6 months.
I know your time is valuable, as is the time of the experts, but you really have two options here in addition to sending in the written plea with your explanation and ask the court to reduce the fine. First, appear in court, despite the time constraints you have, plead not guilty and ask to conference with the prosecutor to explain the situation and ask for a deferred adjudication. Second, hire a local attorney for about $400 and they will appear in court for you and negotiate the deal. I would suggest that either one of those options is better than sending in the written explanation admitting guilt.