Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

My car title is in my husband's name; he died in September;

Customer Question
My car title is in...
My car title is in my husband's name; he died in September; I am sole heir; I can't find the pink slip; what do I have to do to sell the car?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Traffic Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/26/2016
Traffic Lawyer: P. Simmons, Attorney replied 2 years ago
P. Simmons, Attorney

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for your loss

There is a simplified probate process that is commonly referred to as a "small estate affidavit"

Head to your county court with a copy of the death certificate, and will (if he had one). The clerk of the court can provide you the forms...you file the affidavit, that would allow you to head to motor vehicles and transfer title.

Well.........since I can't find the title, isn't there something else I have to do to get a copy of the original?

Before I transfer it?

Sure...you can use the same document to allow you to request the title. (from the motor vehicles department)

Once you get the title...then you transfer it

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.