Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I'm from Orange County. I got a ticket driving one of the…

Customer Question
Hi, I'm from Orange County...
Hi, I'm from Orange County. I got a ticket driving one of the company's car which was registered in Las Vegas. Because I am the employee that lives here in Orange County, the officer said I needed to change the registration of the car to California. I had just come from Las Vegas and was on my way back to Vegas. He said that since I lived in California, the company vehicle needed to be registered in California. I did not know what to do because I did not break the law. The vehicle was not mine to register. I asked for an extension by email, but I was assessed a big penalty because I did not go to court.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Traffic Law
1/25/2016
Traffic Lawyer: Legalease, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Legalease
Legalease, Attorney

Hello there --

-

Is your company aware that this happened with one of their cars?

-

Are you the primary person using the car and is it housed at your residence in CA on most occasions?

-

-

MARY

Hi, my company is very small. My friend owns the company and I handle most clients is just her and me. I'm a designer. I usually use my car but when I have to go to Arizona and Vegas, I use the Minivan. I do house the car in my office in California a lot of the times.
The car is leased and the lease is up this month, so I will be returning it to Vegas.
My license is due to be suspended by February 13 and I have to return the car asap. I'm being assessed a $1,000 bail amount. I don't mind paying the ticket. I just want this over.

Hello again --

-

It would have been better if you had not missed the court date. You may have been able to convince the court that you simply use the car (if a car is in CA for more than 30 days -- or what the police perceive to be more than 30 days -- they can start ticketing you to register the car in CA. THat is pretty much the law in every state).

-

You are either going to have to appear at the courthouse to explain the matter to the prosecutor and the judge OR you will have to hire a local attorney who will call the prosecutor and talk to them about your case before you appear at the courthouse to sort out these matters. If you appear on your own, you will not be immediately arrested (even if there is a warrant out for you) -- because this is how warrants are straightened out. You appear at the clerk's office for criminal business and give them the case number (if you do not have a pre set date then you can go any day but you run the risk of being arrested the more you leave this without taking care of it at the court). THey will pull the file and tell you what courtroom to appear in and then you simply wait until they call your name and speak with the prosecutor first. If you have no prior issues then you should be able to get the bail amount reduced - but I do suggest being able to pay the fine immediately and a few additional hundred doilars in court costs in order for the prosecutor and the court to look more kindly on you on the day you appear.

=

Please let me know what additional questions that you have on this matter. THANK YOU

Hello again --

-

THe telephone request you made did not go through so you will have to contact customer service about that issue. I did give you a response above and am happy to answer anything additional you may have in this format

-

MARY

I do have to appear? Or can I just pay for the ticket and be done with it?

Hello again --

-

Yes you do have to appear. If they have set a bail amount then that generally means that there is a warrant out for your arrest for failing to appear and / or pay the original ticket when it should have been paid.

-

MARY

ANd you cannot get a warrant removed by simply paying the ticket -- you have to appear and basically apologize for the oversight and they will remove the warrant that day.

-

MARY

Hello there -

-

Do you have any further questions for me at this time? If not, can you please press a positive rating in the ratings section above so I will receive credit for assisting you in this forum today? It still appears that your telephone call request cannot be processed which is something you have to talk to customer service about.

-

MARY