Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I live in Tennessee and was caught speeding and my car

Customer Question
insurance had lapsed. I have...
I live in Tennessee and was caught speeding and my car insurance had lapsed. I have been told to surrender my license, registration, and tags for my car. How long until I can apply for a new license?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Traffic Law
1/19/2016
Traffic Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Your license will be suspended as long as you remain uninsured. You'll have to get insurance and get a form SR-22 from the insurance company, showing proof, to provide to the Tennessee Department of Safety. You may be required to file this form for up to 5 years, and failure at any time to do so will result in another suspension. Call a few companies to get quotes, because the insurance may be expensive. Also be aware that if you're caught driving while your license is suspended, it's a Class B misdemeanor, which means the maximum penalty for a first offense is up to six months in jail and a fine of $500. Subsequent convictions can have higher penalties.

Driving with insurance in Tennessee is not a Class A misdemeanor, which means that it's punishable by up to 11 months, 29 days of imprisonment and fines of up to $2,500 on top of the license suspension. (The actual fine is usually much lower.) I mention that because I want you to know that you have a right to have a lawyer represent you. When you go the court date, if you can't afford a lawyer, ask the judge to appoint one for you at no charge.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer