Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic Law

I got a reckless driving ticket in Kentucky, and i am an

Customer Question
hi, i got a reckless driving...
hi,
i got a reckless driving ticket in Kentucky, and i am an international student, studying in Pennsylvania. i am given a court date. i have no bad diving records so far. what should i do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Traffic Law
1/4/2016
Traffic Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney replied 1 year ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney

Do you have a lawyer?

You are in luck. In Kentucky, unlike in most states, reckless drving is a traffic violation and NOT a misdemeanor. Kentucky would give you four points on your license for it, but it would not give you a criminal record, since it is not a crime. It would show on your driver's record.

If you cannot be there because of the distance involved, you could pay the ticket if the fine is stipulated there. The penalty for this offense in Kentucky is just a fine of $20 to $100 and the points, but a traffic violation should not affect your immigration status.

If you want to try to get the matter dismissed altogether, if there is no fine on your citation and the ticket says you must appear, and/or if you want to bargain for a dismissal or for a reduction to an infraction with fewer points and a lower fine possibiity, then you'd need to retain a Kentucky traffic lawyer and have him attend on your court date and see if he can make this go away for you.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney