How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 118722
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Indiana and purchased a new jeep @ our vacation

Customer Question

I live in Indiana and purchased a new jeep for use @ our vacation home in Naples FL .I want to title the jeep in Indiana because all my other vehicles are titled and iknsured and used in Indiana
The jeep is in Fl.and will remain titled in Indiana but will be used only when we vacation in FL. I have a Handiicap placard but would like to get a handicap license plate for this vehicle.
What must I do to get the jeep licensed in IN. How do I handle the Indiana requirement that the vehicle vin number be verified in Indiana? Can i have the local police sign a form to meet Indiana requirments
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am afraid that the problem you will have is not with IN, but with FL. FL law requires that even if you are a temporary FL resident, if your vehicle will be in FL more than 30 days it must be registered in FL. It is actually easier to register it in FL and also it avoids you getting a ticket there for not properly registering your vehicle. Titling your vehicle in IN only because all of your other vehicles are titled there is not a reason that the FL courts would buy.

However, if you insist on titling it in Indiana, you need the dealer to sign a mileage verification and you need the FL title and you submit that to IN and pay the IN tax and registration fee and you need to submit your handicapped paperwork to the IN DMV in order to obtain the IN Handicapped plate. The Dealer who you bought the vehicle from can sign the mileage certification with the title.