How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask S. Huband, Esq. Your Own Question
S. Huband, Esq.
S. Huband, Esq., Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 1628
Experience:  Experienced, and knowledgeable attorney.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
S. Huband, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 16 year old was involved in a traffic accident and does

Customer Question

My 16 year old was involved in a traffic accident and does not have a permit or a license. She was driving a friends car. We live in Colorado. She was ticketed on site of the accident. Court date is 2.24.16. Does she need a lawyer?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  S. Huband, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the opportunity to assist you. It's always a good idea to have an attorney. What was she ticketed with, and has she already been to court and spoken to the judge about getting an attorney?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure exactly what she was ticketed for. She is currently with her dad and he has the ticket. She hasn't been to court yet. This just happened last night.
Expert:  S. Huband, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


An attorney is often valuable for many reasons. An experienced attorney may have been in front of this judge and/or prosecutor before and knows what to expect in the case. Also, an attorney can assess the information objectively and advise whether or not your daughter should have a trial or offer to plead guilty. Finally, a trained attorney knows procedural and evidentiary rules that can sometimes help to win a case on what many people call a "technicality."

Since your daughter was ticked and released, her court date in February is probably a trial date. My guess is that she's not charged with a crime that involves possible jail time, only a fine. Therefore, she's not entitled to an appointed attorney (i.e. a public defender), but she/you can still hire an attorney of your choosing. If you don't know any attorneys in your area who handle juvenile traffic cases, try the CO State Bar. They may be able to point you in the right direction.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much. Very helpful.
Expert:  S. Huband, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You're very welcome. I wish you and your daughter the best. If I've answered your question to your satisfaction, I hope you'll issue a positive rating.

Happy holidays!