Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic Law

I recieved 2nd dui in South Dakota while Iowa resident

Customer Question
suspended for year bought house...
I recieved 2nd dui in South Dakota while Iowa resident suspended for year bought house in sd two months after then recieved not Iowa dot suspended for 6years eligible in Iowa for work Permitt but don't live there and suspension over in sd but can't get anything here because Iowa suspension what can I do have to work live rural
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Traffic Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/15/2015
Traffic Lawyer: P. Simmons, Attorney replied 2 years ago
P. Simmons, Attorney

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry...I am not sure I understand your question.

This is all I can see

Can you tell me, do you have a question?

I recieved 2nd dui in South Dakota they suspended me a year was Iowa resident at the time then moved to South Dakota after conviction and Iowa dot suspended me for 6 years they go back longer and counted as 3 rd now suspension is up in sd bit won't issue because of Iowa and eligible for work Permitt in Iowa but won't issue because I now live in sd need to work

Thank you
THat makes sense. I have to step away and will opt out and allow others to assist you.

Traffic Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR.
I am afraid the position you are in is a very difficult situation. It will require you to file an appeal with Iowa and go to a hearing to prove you no longer live in IA to ask them to remove the restriction in IA based on your no longer being a resident. Unless IA agrees to remove the suspension based on you no longer residing in IA, the state of SD hands are tied. So you need to file an appeal in IA and it would require you getting a local attorney in IA to file the appeal and make the case that the fact you no longer live in IA prevents you from getting a hardship license that you would ordinarily qualify for under IA law and the significant financial hardship this suspension is causing you now in SD who could issue you a hardship license if IA released their suspension is grounds to remove the suspension. It would then be up to the hearing officer in IA.
I am sorry, but this is the only option you have in a case like this.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney