Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney
Experience:  18+ years of high-volume criminal defense work from arraignment through plea or trial.
18321761

I was arrested and I was wondering if there is any way to

Customer Question

I was arrested for DUI and I was wondering if there is any way to avoid my license being suspended and avoid it showing up on my driving record?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Depending upon the facts and circumstances of your case, sometimes a lawyer can get the prosecutor to agree to a deal whereby you plead guilty to something like reckless or careless driving or to a traffic violation, so that you do not have to lose your license to resolve the case. Otherwise, the way to avoid the loss of your license and to avoid it turning up on your record is to win the case.

Kansas also sometimes offers deferred adjudications for DUI which can keep a conviction off of your record. That's a special type of supervision where you perform community service, pay fines, refrain from drinking, stay out of further difficulty with the law, and take anti-alcohol classes. Complete everything successfullly and your case gets dismissed.

Kansas has a two-pronged system. That is, you can opt for a hearing to try to keep your license from being suspended. You have to request that within 14 days. That's an administrative proceeding having to do with the Kansas Driver Control Bureau and not the courts. If you fail to apply for that hearing, your license will be suspended automatically.