Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney
Experience:  18+ years of high-volume criminal defense work from arraignment through plea or trial.
18321761

I am involved in two different State of Georgia court cases.

Customer Question

I am involved in two different State of Georgia court cases. first case is a speeding ticket. I asked for a jury trial. Second is a former customer is suing me for $30,000 for specific performance. Q. Can I use the same attorney and how can I request help
from The Legal Aide lawyer group
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

If you retain a lawyer in general practice with civil and criminal experience, then you can use the same lawyer on both of your questions. If what you're looking for is a public defender on a criminal matter, then unfortunately, the do not practice civil law. If you are indigent, meaning that your income is at or below poverty level, you can tell the judge on your misdemeanor case that you do not have the funds to retain a lawyer and ask him to appoint you a public defender. If he does not believe you meet your state's eligibility requirements for a free criminal lawyer, you would have to go forward without counsel or pay for representation.

On the civil side, there is no right to a free attorney. But there are all sorts of agencies which can provide you with representation or hands-on help so that you can do it yourself and have a chance at succeeding. Here's a list of all of the pro bono resources in your state. You would have to call them and see if they could take your matter on. if they can't help you, ask if they can refer you to a person or agency who can, as people in the pro bono loop usually know of others.

You should also check with area law schools, most of which have cliinics. Law students take on cases for class credit and represent clients under the close supervision of a professor/attorney. Many of these clinics have excellent reputations and they are free or have a sliding fee scale.

Good luck.