Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic Law

I am trying to obtain my title. I bought the vehicle new in

Customer Question
96 in Illinois where I...
I am trying to obtain my title. I bought the vehicle new in 96 in Illinois where I have always resided. The vehicle was repossessed in 1999. I immediately paid off the balance to Bank one and the following day had to go to Indiana to reclaim it at an auto auction. I received a title release affidavit, an application for title for Illinois and a check from Bank One to pay for the title. I did not act on this right away and now am trying to sell my truck. Illinois DMV shows it was transferred to Indiana. I contacted Indiana BMV and they show no record of the vin number. I did a title search and confirms it is held in Indiana. Legally where do I stand and what measures can I take? Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Traffic Law
11/3/2015
Traffic Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You need to apply in IN for a duplicate title and once you get that title then you can apply to IL for a transfer of title, since you have all of the documentation of ownership. You need to get the Indiana title first since that is where it is titled for whatever reason.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney