Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

I am trying to obtain my title. I bought the vehicle new in

Customer Question

I am trying to obtain my title. I bought the vehicle new in 96 in Illinois where I have always resided. The vehicle was repossessed in 1999. I immediately paid off the balance to Bank one and the following day had to go to Indiana to reclaim it at an auto auction. I received a title release affidavit, an application for title for Illinois and a check from Bank One to pay for the title. I did not act on this right away and now am trying to sell my truck. Illinois DMV shows it was transferred to Indiana. I contacted Indiana BMV and they show no record of the vin number. I did a title search and confirms it is held in Indiana. Legally where do I stand and what measures can I take? Thank you
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You need to apply in IN for a duplicate title and once you get that title then you can apply to IL for a transfer of title, since you have all of the documentation of ownership. You need to get the Indiana title first since that is where it is titled for whatever reason.