How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 29986
Experience:  Lawyer. Former judicial law clerk. Worked for District Attorney's Office in Traffic Court.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I moved to the state of Ohio and i'm trying to change my

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** moved to the state of Ohio and i'm trying to change my Puerto Rico driver's licence when i went to the BMV they told me there was something on the system from the BMV from the state of Indiana. I called overthere and they are asking me for an address i lived overthere and i don't remember cause it's been 15 yrs since i left indiana. and i don't no what to do
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jorge,

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

The Indiana BMV will allow you to get a viewable copy of your driver's record online. That might at least show you what the problem is, although it might not have the address. They also have official driving records. The problem is, you'll need your driver's license number from Indiana, and I don't know if you have that.

You can get a free copy of your credit report from, and that should list all addresses associated with your Social Security Number. If they're insisting upon an address to view your driving record, that might be a good start. That website does not require a credit card or any purchase to sign up.

What most likely happened is that you had a ticket you didn't know about and missed the court date. When that happens, the state issues a warrant and your right to drive in the state is suspended. It may help to call the traffic court in the County where you used to live and ask if they can find a case in your name. They should be able to search back 15 years. If they find the case, they can tell you what's happening and give you a court date. You will have to either appear in the Indiana Court to take care of this or pay a lawyer to go for you. (If it's more serious than a speeding ticket, you may have to appear even if you hire a lawyer.)

Since the courthouse isn't open yet, see if you can get your old address from your credit report. If that doesn't help, call the courthouse when they open and see what, if anything, they can tell you.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.