How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CriminalDefense Your Own Question
CriminalDefense, Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 27992
Experience:  10 + years in Traffic Ticket Defense, DUI/DWI and Criminal Defense cases
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
CriminalDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a court date tonight speeding ticket I can't afford

Customer Question

I have a court date tonight for a speeding ticket I can't afford to pay, and can't afford to pay an increase in insurance premiums. The officer cited me under 316.187(2)(c). What can I say in court to either dispute it or plea financial hardship?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  CriminalDefense replied 1 year ago.

When was the last time you got a ticket?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.


Expert:  CriminalDefense replied 1 year ago.

There needs to be a legal basis to dismiss the citation. If the ticket is properly written, then you will need to set it for trial and hope the officer does not appear at trial, unless you have a defense to raise or can attack the credibility of the officer and his ability to properly measure your speed. The hearing officer / judge is not just going to dismiss this and if you want to dispute it, that is a matter for trial. As far as paying the citation, you would need to ask for a payment plan and/or extra time to pay ( i.e 90 days), unless the court may allow you to perform community service to pay off what is owed. It is at the discretion of your insurance company to raise you rates so if you can get the court to at least withhold adjudication , there will not be any points.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I already have trial; it's tonight at 7pm. I am sure the officer will be there, because the date was originally for a few weeks ago, and I was informed he is the one that rescheduled the court date.

I looked up 316.187(2)(c) and it appears that statute doesn't say anything about speeding. Is there a way to dispute this in court tonight??

Expert:  CriminalDefense replied 1 year ago.

Did you ask for the question to be closed?