How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel-II Your Own Question
Samuel-II, Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  I have been handling minor traffic offenses for more than 20 years.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Samuel-II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got a ticket in Newton County in violation of 40-6-16.

Customer Question

I got a ticket in Newton County in violation of 40-6-16. While I did see an 18 wheeler on the shoulder, I did not see a patrol car. The officer claims he was visible for 1000 yards but I did not see him. If he were in front of the truck, there is no way I could have seen him. In any case, there were no flashing lights of any color. I always move over for these things and would have then had the officer been visible to me.. I was going the speed limit (70). The officer followed me for quite a distance with flashing lights, I moved over a lane in case he wanted to pass, having no idea that he was chasing ME!
Is there any chance I can contest this ticket?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Samuel-II replied 1 year ago.


This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard

First here is the LINK to the Code violation. You can read it and see what it says specifically. If the patrol car was in front of the truck, then you are correct there is no way you could have seen it as required by the Code.

Expert:  Samuel-II replied 1 year ago.

If that is true, correct and accurate information, I suggest you will want to tell that to the Judge and state that you have always moved to the other lane, when safe, even before it was a law.

Expert:  Samuel-II replied 1 year ago.

That is really all you can do. If the court still finds you guilty, you will need to plead on the mercy of the court for the minimum fine - it tops out at $500.