How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Lawyer
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 73
Experience:  Sworn to the California Bar in 2011. Former staff editor at The New York Times Co. and seasoned news professional of 20 years experience in the U.S. and abroad.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here... is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In 2014 i got a speeding ticket in Hearne, TX. Took

Customer Question

in 2014 i got a speeding ticket in Hearne, TX. Took Defensive Dirving, submitted the driver recrd and today I got a letter from an attorney saying I need to pay $186.00. Call the Hearne Municpal COurt talked to Peggy, would not give me her last anme, and said I did it backwards and took defensive driving BEFORE i got permission from judge. WHat can I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm scott: Although I cannot provide specific legal advice to specific legal questions, I can address legal isses generally and hypothetical scenarios.

Now, more bad news , I'm afraid: the general process in most systems is to go to court for the ticket, and before being "sentenced," ask the court if the driver can do something to mitigate, like a DD course, and have the ticket vitiated so it does not affect thinks like insurance rates.

And of course whether a court permits that is entirely in their discretion.

No consolation, but I think well of the initiative, and the court and solicitor might also.

If I encountered such a situation, I would probably contact the solicitor's office directly and explain the situation and see if he'll agree to accept the driving course and make a joint presentation asking the court accept it as well as well.

And frankly, it's not likely to work, but there is nothing to lose with that approach.

Good Luck!