Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic Law

I received a citation. There are multiple errors on the

Customer Question
I received a citation for...
I received a citation for speeding. There are multiple errors on the citation starting with my formal name being incorrect. Also my License plate number is ***** Also the color of my vehicle is incorrect. As well, the officer designated the wrong speed zone. He wrote 50 in a 40m/ph. When I went back to look at the speed limit, I actually discovered I was in a 45mph zone, not a 40. The officer was coming the opposite direction and I had well cleared the prior 40mph zone when he would have been able to even first see me. He told me he clocked me at 55 but only wrote me for going 50. Would there be enough errors to cast doubt on the credibility of the officer at the time of the offense?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Traffic Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/19/2015
Traffic Lawyer: Hammer O'Justice, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Hammer O'Justice

Hello.

I'm sorry to hear about your ticket. Typically, a minor error or two on the speeding ticket with regard to irrelevant details (such as your exact name or vehicle color) will not do you much good in traffic court. However, the speed zone that you were in would be a relevant and important detail, and a judge may take an error like that more seriously than whether or not the officer properly noted the color of your vehicle. It is up to the judge, ultimately, but it is a decent argument to make.

If you don't succeed in challenging the ticket, you may still be able to get an outcome that prevents a conviction (and points) from going on your driving record. If you have a decent record, you may be offered a suspended imposition of sentence or deferred adjudication, where your ticket is put off for a period of time (usually around six months) and if you don't get any further tickets, it is basically dismissed and the conviction remains off of your record. It is just an idea of how to handle the case if you can't get out of it on the technicalities.

Best of luck...I hope you are able to get a good outcome with your ticket.

Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Attorney