How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 102146
Experience:  Private practice
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a "Failure to Pay Full Time and Attention" ticket

Customer Question

I received a "Failure to Pay Full Time and Attention" ticket resulting in an accident in Fairfax County. Is this a criminal misdemeanor? If so, should I seek representation from a lawyer since I hold a security clearance?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fairfax County in Virginia.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. This is under Fairfax County Ordinance: 82-4-24.

This is a local ordinance and not a misdemeanor. Paying the sum/pleading guilty should not result in a misdemeanor conviction.

However, it is strongly recommended to use counsel for two reasons. First, pleading guilty results in points against one's license. Second, because there is a security clearance involved, even though this would not result in a misdemeanor, it may still have an impact when it comes to time to re-certify for the clearance. Will it have an impact for sure? Not likely, but it is always better to be safe than sorry.

Just to be on the safe side, it is best to use counsel to minimize the matter. The attorney can normally get the matter thrown out on a technicality, or plead down to a non-moving violation, etc.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith by rating me positively.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!