How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttyDort Your Own Question
AttyDort, Trial Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 96
Experience:  14yrs Exp in all major CA crim/traffic courts.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
AttyDort is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a ticket 42 mph in a school zone (20 mph).

Customer Question

I received a ticket for going 42 mph in a school zone (20 mph). Haven't have a ticket in over 25 years. I believe he got me when I was just entering the zone because by the time he pulled me over, I thought I was going so slow that I was irritating him (he was right behind me for quite some time). There are conflicting signs of 20 and 25. Regardless, I was speeding. I cannot afford this. I just started a new job after being laid off 3 years ago. I work 7 days a weeks, working weekends for the Worth Police Department. Do I just plead guilty? Do I try to negotiate? Should I hire an attorney? This happened in Bolingbrook, IL and my court date is this coming Monday. Any guidance would be appreciated. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  AttyDort replied 2 years ago.

In most jurisdictions, with this fact pattern, a driver would be eligible for: 1) traffic violator school; and 2) alternative sentencing options.

If you think you cannot win a trial, you can ask the court for a traffic school referral, and for community service, or sheriff's work program to pay off the financial penalty.

If you think you can win the trial, demand a trial date, show up on time prepared and try to win.

If you are not a commercial driver, an attorney may not be cost effective. This would be especially true if you are eligible for a traffic school referral that might protect your driving record.

But if your job depends on avoiding drivers license points, you should hire an attorney to try everything he/she can think of.

An attorney can go to court for you. Thant may be important if you have to go to work, not court.

The court will always give you time to pay a fine if you show up to court on time, and are only charged with a traffic infraction.

The #1 thing not to do is - do not miss that court date. Show up on time, or hire an attorney to go for you.

If this were my case, I'd be thinking my #1 goal is protecting the driving record if possible. #2 goal would be making a payment arrangement that I can work with. I would feel confident the court will give me time to pay as long as I ask for it in person, on time.

Normally, traffic court defendants are not required to pay anything right away. Installment plans, community service, and/or 30 or 60 days to pay are common results.

Ask the judge for what you want clearly. You will find it is easier than you think.

Unless you miss your court date!

Let me know if you have relevant follow up questions.


Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My first question was, " do I go up there and plead guilty"?