Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp. with Traffic Law issues
19127644

Renewal of my vehicle is due today, but I am moving to Reno,

Customer Question

renewal of my vehicle is due today, but I am moving to Reno, NV on the 25th of this month .do I still have to pay for the renewal in California?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. Unfortunately, California does not have a grace period for vehicle registration. That means that if you do not renew your registration today, you could face a few consequences for not doing so. One is that if you are stopped by law enforcement prior to when you plan on registering your vehicle in NV, you could receive a ticket for expired registration. In addition, the State would normally contact your insurance company and notify them of the lapse, and you might have issues with coverage of an accident if one occurred in this interim period. Finally, the State could suspend your DL. Now the chance that this would all occur in that period is fairly low, those could be consequences. So, something to keep in mind when you make your decision.

You can see some information on this issue at the CA DMV site at the following link: https://dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/vr/vr_info

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If not, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating for me in the box above, I will receive credit for my work. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 8th. For some unknown reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit(paid) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.