How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Hammer O'Justice Your Own Question
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 4498
Experience:  10 years of legal experience, including traffic law
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Hammer O'Justice is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in North Carolina and my son was involved in an

Customer Question

I live in North Carolina and my son was involved in an accident today while driving my car. I found out he is not listed on my policy as a designated driver but I do have full coverage insurance. He resides with me and had my permission to drive, will my I surance policy cover him in the event of an accident?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 1 year ago.


I'm sorry to hear about the accident...I hope your son wasn't injured. As for coverage, it really depends on the type of policy you have and what your policy says. Usually with comprehensive insurance, the insurance will cover any driver that is operating with permission of the owner/insured. In addition, many policies usually include everyone in the family under the definition of the "insured" party even if they are not specifically named. Comprehensive insurance generally follows the vehicle, not the driver.

Your insurance company should be able to look up your policy and confirm whether permissive drivers are covered by your policy just to ease your mind, but there is a strong likelihood that he will be covered.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my son wasn't injured but the other driver was and was about seven months pregnant she went to the hospital and is in labor now. I already filed a claim with my insurance what should my next step be?
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 1 year ago.

Believe it or not, that is pretty much all you have to do. The insurance companies handle these sort of things all the time and will contact you and your son if they need anything else (if they haven't yet, they will be in touch with him to take his statement about what happened and to see if there are any photographs of the damage, etc.). As part of the insurance coverage, provided he is covered, they will represent him through the claims process and through any legal issues, if the other person ends up filing a lawsuit. But insurance companies have adjusters, claims investigators, litigation specialists, and attorneys to handle whatever crops up. The only thing you and your son have to do is make sure you are diligent about cooperating with the insurance company, return all phone calls, etc., since your cooperation is required by your policy.