How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 29985
Experience:  Lawyer. Former judicial law clerk. Worked for District Attorney's Office in Traffic Court.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a ticket the registration ion my car expired. had

Customer Question

I received a ticket for having the registration ion my car expired. had the old one with me. I was not aware since I usually received the renewal form via mail. I notice the officer mark date of offense wrong in ticket. Registration has been renewed and is up to date. the ticket is $54 dollars due date for court today at 4:ppm have not submitted plea. Question: can this ticket get dismiss for erroneous inf. on ticket and proof of current registration? those this ticket incur points on my license?... Am I better off paying?. I will have to go to the court to pay it in person... should I explain to prosecutor?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need the answer if I can dismiss the ticket soon .
Expert:  AttyDort replied 1 year ago.

General considerations: If you can prove you did not commit that violation on the alleged date of the offense, you might be 100% innocent. But $54? Are you really going to spend any part of your life in court to try to save $54?

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The incorrect information on the ticket is unfortunately not grounds for dismissal, because the prosecutor can amend it at trial. The judge would dismiss the ticket if you had proof that that car was registered on the date you were stopped, but if you really were expired, they can still make you pay the fine.

A ticket for expired registration does not result in any points on your license. What it really comes down to is if you want to take the time to go to court, knowing that you may wind up still having to pay the $54. But you said you have to go to court either way to pay it, so you can certainly ask the DA to reduce the fine while you're there.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.