How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 6392
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Are motor carriers that operate ONLY intrastate within

Customer Question

Are motor carriers that operate ONLY intrastate within California (as opposed to interstate) and that also broker freight required to register as a broker under MAP-21, or any similar California law?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 2 years ago.
Interstate motor carriers that broker loads, even occasionally, must register both as a motor carrier and as a broker under the FMCSA.
However, you are required to obtain a USDOT number if you have a vehicle that:
Is used in transporting material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous and transported in a quantity requiring placarding (whether interstate or intrastate).
Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater; or
Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or
Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation;
AND is involved in Interstate commerce, trade, traffic, or transportation in the United States—
Between a place in a State and a place outside of such State (including a place outside of the United States);
Between two places in a State through another State or a place outside of the United States; or
Between two places in a State as part of trade, traffic, or transportation originating or terminating outside the State or the United States.
Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.
If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. If you would rather obtain a refund of your deposit, just let me know and I will inform JA on your behalf. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR MAVERICK".
Thank you for using Just Answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
would a carrier that ONLY does intrastate not be required to get broker status if it is brokering loads? It's not clear to me in your answer
Expert:  Maverick replied 2 years ago.
In CA you can broker freight within CA without a brokers authority.