How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thelawman2 Your Own Question
Thelawman2, Lawyer
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 1377
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Thelawman2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a reckless driving violation in in Feb, 2014, and

Customer Question

I received a reckless driving violation in Virginia in Feb, 2014, and hence got 2 points on my DMV record. VA court informed the CA DMV, so the 2 points were reflected in my CA driving record. Since I currently hold a CA driving license, so technically I cannot earn the “safe driving points” through the Virginia traffic system to offset the demerits. It has been over an year for me without a violation. I have also completed a VA state approved driving improvement course. Is there any way I can ask the VA court to offset those demerits and inform the CA DMV?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, you can only get your CA points removed by complying with the requirements of California. Even though you would be permitted to have your demerits removed based on VA law, a VA court would not be able to inform California to remove the points from the CA DMV.

If you take a California-approved driving safety class, you could still have the violation cleared from your record as long as you haven't attended a driving safety class for California in the past 18 months.

I hope this has been helpful. If so, please provide positive feedback!