How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 116755
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received my first speeding ticket today in a school zone.

Customer Question

Hi. My Name is***** received my first speeding ticket today in a school zone. I was not familiar with the road. As soon As I realized I was going 35 in a school zone I began to slow down. There were multiple vehicles in the left lane speeding past me. I saw a cop further up the road with his lights on. I was still in the process of slowing down. By the time I had passed him, I was out of the school zone and was going at least 28-or 30 MPH. When He got behind me, I didn't even think it was for me since he had his lights on way before I even passed him. I pulled over immediately. He issued me a ticket for going 40 in a 25 school zone. He also said the the weather was cloudy and the road was wet. I have never had a ticket nor been pulled over for the 6 years that I have been driving. Also, It hasn't even rained today and was sunny. Is there any way to fight this in court. I want to keep my clean driving record and pay for the mistake I actually made. Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You can go to court and plead not guilty. When you plead not guilty you an ask for a conference with the prosecutor and negotiate a deal. If the officer does not show up in court you can ask for a dismissal. If the officer is present, you can ask the prosecutor for a reduction in the violation to under 40 miles an hour, which would mean it would not be reported on your license and you would not get the 2 points on your license as tickets that are 14 miles per hour and less over the limit are not reported to GA DMV.
You need to plead your case to the prosecutor and be honest. The fact that the officer said it was raining and wet, bring in the weather report showing it did not rain that day, as that is grounds to argue the ticket should be dismissed as it is inaccurate as well, but if the prosecutor will not dismiss on that, you could take it to trial to argue that the officer did not observe you speeding on a rainy day, so how could he even be truthful about your speed and attack the credibility of the officer to seek to get found not guilty.
Having an attorney helps get the best deals and generally they cost about $300, but getting a good deal would be more beneficial than the costs of increased insurance for the ticket going on your record. So if the prosecutor will not make you a good deal to not have this reported to DMV or you cannot get it reduced, ask for a continuance and return with an attorney.