How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Hammer O'Justice Your Own Question
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 4489
Experience:  10 years of legal experience, including traffic law
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Hammer O'Justice is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have received G.S. 20-141(J1) speeding ticket MPH in 65

Customer Question

I have received G.S. 20-141(J1) speeding ticket for 83 MPH in 65 MPH in NC, Davidson County on I-85. I am resident of CA and do not have any violations on record in CA and in NC before. It was hill area and I was in the process of adjusting the speed when the officer caught it and I have stopped immediately after officer turned on the lights. The citation is for court appreance; I never had this before and not sure what to expect. Please let me know what would be the worst case and how I can resolve this.
Read more:
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. The reason your appearance is required is because in North Carolina, any speeding ticket that is more than 15 mph over the limit is actually a Class 2 misdemeanor rather than a simple infraction. Misdemeanors require a court appearance or a warrant can be issued for your arrest. With no record, even though the charge carries the possibility of jail time, it is highly unlikely that you would actually get jail time. If you are able to stay in North Carolina for the court date, then your best bet would likely be to negotiate for a prayer for judgment continued (or PJC). It basically means your case is put off for a period of time (usually 6 months) and if you don't get in any more trouble, the charge stays off your record. If you are unable to make it back, however, you will likely have to hire a lawyer to deal with the ticket. A lawyer can usually plea bargain with the prosecutor to get your speed reduced to under 15 mph, so it becomes an infraction that you can pay rather than a criminal offense that you have to appear for. The ticket will go on your record, but not as a misdemeanor, just a regular ticket. If you aren't able to appear, it is best to find an attorney ASAP so they have as much time as possible to try to work it out before your court date so you don't get a warrant issued.