Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney
Experience:  18+ years of high-volume criminal defense work from arraignment through plea or trial.
18321761

With the dangers of home invasions when leaving your car

Customer Question

With the dangers of home invasions when leaving your car registration in your glove box etc. and your car possibly being stolen, Can you make a photocopy of your vehicle registration to keep in your wallet when there are 2 drivers?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a criminal lawyer.

The car registration itself tells you to leave it in the car, so that's what you need to do. That said, there's nothing wrong with making a copy for both of you to keep in your wallet, just in case, your car is broken into and the contents of your glove compartment stolen.

The police are not going to accept a photocopy as the real thing, however. Photocopies can all too easily be tampered with. A photocopy won't prevent a ticket, and though when you get to court and show the real thing, you can get your case dismissed, the only way to avoid the inconvenience is to keep the real registration where it belongs.