How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thelawman2 Your Own Question
Thelawman2, Lawyer
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 1385
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Thelawman2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was pulled over and ticketed for "FAILING TO STOP AT

Customer Question

I was pulled over and ticketed for "FAILING TO STOP AT PROPER PLACE AT A RAILROAD" in College Station, TX. I requested for defensive driving, and they gave me 90 days to complete it and turn it in. I forgot about having to do my defensive driving and just now realized that time is up. I was supposed to have turned in my defensive driving certificate by July 29, 2015, and it said that if I realized I was not going to be able to turn it in on time, that I am supposed to show up in court the Friday before July 29, 2015. I have missed both of those. Now I just need to know if I have a warrant for not showing up to court, and also, what I must do to take care of the "Railroad" ticket. When I requested for defensive driving, I paid $117.00, as a mandatory fee, which left my balance at $199.00. Do I just have to pay the other $199.00 and its over? Or is there more too it? Please get back to me ASAP. I'm super worried. Thanks so much.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Your case will likely now be set for what is called a Show Cause hearing, where in you will need to "show cause" why the judge shouldn't enter a final conviction. Under the law, the judge can give a maximum of 180 days to allow completion of a deferred disposition, so there's a chance if you go in with your completion certificate for the defensive driving that the judge will accept and allow your deferred to stand. However, the judge is well within his/her right to deny you this opportunity and just enter a judgment of conviction. Call the court to see when your case is set (or to set it) and see if the clerks will give you a better idea if this is possible with this particular judge. The worse that will happen is having to pay the remainder of the fine. I hope this has been helpful. If so, please provide positive feedback!