Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic Law

I got a speeding ticket in Scottsdale 57 mph in a 45 mph zone. The fine was a w

Customer Question
I got a speeding ticket...
I got a speeding ticket in Scottsdale for going 57 mph in a 45 mph zone. The fine was a whopping $267.00.
In New York where I come from the fines are prorated depending on the excess speed.
The fine of $267.00 seems excessive to me to say the least. I'd like to know how fines are determined in Scottsdale.And how do I find out how many points it would be on my record?
It seems like my best solution is to take the defensive driving course which is also expensive, but will take the points off.
I don't have much time to decide.Can you give me a quick response?
Thanks,
Judith Weissman
.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Traffic Law
7/31/2015
Traffic Lawyer: CriminalDefense, Attorney replied 2 years ago
CriminalDefense
CriminalDefense, Attorney
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. A speeding violation would result in 3 points. If you wanted to fight this, you could request a hearing and when you appear, try and take a plea to possible lower the fine and costs or go to trial and fight it, making the state prove the charge against you. If you choose to attend defensive driving school and you are eligible you will not have to make a court appearance if you attend before your scheduled court date and there are benefits in doing this. You can register over the phone and make arrangements to attend class at any State certified school listed at: http://www.azcourts.gov/drive/ListofCertifiedSchools.aspx, or State certified school listed in the Yellow Pages.
The violation will be dismissed after successfully completing the class.
The violation will not be reported to MVD or recorded on your driving record.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!
I find the fine to be excessive. Are all speeding tickets this expensive regardless of how much faster they were going over the speed limit? In New York State the fine depends on the speed.
Every State is different and up to the counties to set them. There is typically range in which the speed will fall, which dictates the fines. While it is high and I do understand that you find it to be excessive, unless it is illegal, it would need to be paid. I understand that New York has their laws but Arizona is different.
CriminalDefense
CriminalDefense
CriminalDefense, Attorney