How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 27479
Experience:  18+ years of high-volume criminal defense work from arraignment through plea or trial.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been charged with leaving the scene of an accident with

Customer Question

I have been charged with leaving the scene of an accident with no injuries property damage was to a vehicle I had insurance so the vehicle was fixed I plead not guilty I can't afford an attorney so what should I do can I change my plea and and of I do what will be the results and what course of action do you recommend
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
This is a misdemeanor, so you don't want to plead guilty to this charge if you can help it, since it would appear on your criminal record. You can let the judge know that you are without the means to pay for a private attorney and ask him to appoint you a public defender.
If you are not eligible for a public defender and absolutely can't afford representation, you should try to negotiate a reduction of the charges to a traffic infraction if possible or to give you a plea offer that will keep the charge off of your record or, at the very least, the promise of a sentence that will keep you out of jail. Once you get the best deal that you are capable of negotiating, you could then take back your not guilty plea and plead guilty to get the promised plea offer.
You should not change your plea to guilty until you know what sentence you will get in exchange for the plea. You can always change your plea from not guilty to guilty, under our system of justice. But once you plead guilty on the record, you can almost never take that back. So you need to make sure that you have a plea that you can live with before you withdraw your not guilty plea.