How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 118789
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My spouse bought an old johnboat with trailer mere 100.00

Customer Question

my spouse bought an old johnboat with trailer for a mere 100.00 however we had a police officer call in the numbers that were preexisting on the boat and found that no records of said boat ever being tagged registered or taxed. we now need to get proper steps in getting this boat and trailer legal. please help. thanks so very very much.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you have a bill of sale and the proof that the boat is not stolen from the police, then you need to fill out a new registration form on the boat/trailer like it was brand new and just purchased. So the boat is generally registered with wildlife and fisheries (you do not say what state you are in) and the trailer is registered with DMV and this would be a brand new registration since it has never been previously registered.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

we live in bushnell florida. also do i simply take the report from a police officer and a bill of sale to our county DMV just as we would the cars?

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.

In FL, applications for vessel registration and title certificates (original or duplicate) are to be filed by the vessel owner with the county tax collector's office in the county where the vessel is located or in the county where the vessel owner resides. So you take your bill of sale and police report and documents to the tax collector's office showing legitimate purchase and apply for a new title for both the boat and trailer.