SoloLawyer
SoloLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  I help clients deal with traffic tickets on a weekly basis.
18210975

I got a speeding ticket 75 in a 60MPH zone on a short

Customer Question

I got a speeding ticket for going 75 in a 60MPH zone on a short stretch of 95 South (MP157.5) in Virginia - every other car was traveling at the same rate of speed that I was traveling. My car was the only car that was out of state and I was pulled over. How can I minimize my points - I have a NC license and am a Retire Army Colonel.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  SoloLawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to assisting you today. In Virginia, you get "demerits" when you commit a moving violation. For speeding 20 miles over the speed limit, you get 6 points and the conviction stays on your record for 5 years. The demerits affect your license in Virginia but your insurance company has their own way of determining what the consequence is for you speeding (determining you're a risky driver and increasing your premiums). Because your offense is 20 mph over the speed limit, the best bet to reduce the points is to get a skilled Virginia traffic attorney. The attorney can possibly get the speed reduced to something lower or have the ticket amended to some obscure violation that doesn't trigger points at all. 20 mph is thought of in the same way reckless driving is, so you really need someone to advocate for you in order to make it out of this unscathed. You can also call your insurance company to find out if they have programs you can participate in which may relieve your liability with them. I hope this helps! If you valued my time, please consider leaving a positive review. Experts don't get credit for our answers until you do. I'll be happy to follow up until you're completely satisfied. Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Michael - you did not read my question - I was travel 15 not 20MPH over the speed limit
Expert:  SoloLawyer replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry about the typo. All of my previously posted information still applies.
Hope it works out!
Michael