How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 26776
Experience:  18+ years of high-volume criminal defense work from arraignment through plea or trial.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a Pennsylvania drivers license but live and hold an

Customer Question

I have a Pennsylvania drivers license but live and hold an ID card in Wisconsin. I got a DUI in Wisconsin, have paid all court costs, attended the alcohol classes, had my assessment, had an Intoxaloc for 12 months, and hold the SR22 insurance. Can I get a Wisconsin drivers license?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with this question. If you have completed all of your sentencing requirements in Wisconsin and waited out any suspension period to satisfy Wisconsin, you then would have to find out if Pennsylvania suspended your license and jump through whatever hoops PennDot would require of you to get your driving privileges reinstated there as well. When you owe nothing further to Pennsylvania or Wisconsin, you would then be eligible for a license in Wisconsin.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would Pennsylvania "double" the fines as well or does completion of WI satisfy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
I apologize but unlike in non-legal categories on JustAnswer, where phone calls are allowed, in the legal categories live phone calls can be deemed practice of law which is forbidden by our bar associations, since JustAnswer is not a law firm and we thus we do not and cannot represent you on this website with any legal matter. I would be happy to continue with you in this forum if you would like to use the reply tab below.Thank you for understanding.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
They don't necessarily double anything and it helps that you don't intend to live in Pennsylvania but to get a Wisconsin license. PennDot will do an assessment of you and determine for itself what if anything else is necessary. They may just want you to take their safe driving classes. They may want more. It all depends upon the facts and circumstances of your case and your personal and criminal history.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Zero criminal offenses, that was my first DUI, 2 speeding tickets from 1999, work full time in Wisconsin since 2011...I know u can't guarantee but is this favorable?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Here's the thing. 45 of 50 states belong to the Interstate Driver's compact and have agreed to a one driver/one license, theory of accountablility for serious traffic matters. Wisconsin doesn't belong to the Compact, so Wisconsin does not have to inform PA of your conviction. Pennsylvania, however, is a compact state and if it finds your Wisconsin DUI in the national data base, it will suspend your license. It may have already done that. With a license suspended in one state, you cannot get a license anywhere else in the country until that suspension is lifted. That's why I have said that you may have to jump through PennDot's hoops, too, before you'll get the all clear. You can try to turn your PA license in now for a WI license. If PA hasn't suspended you, you'd be good to go, so long as you've discharged your sentence requirements in Wisconsin. I know that this sounds pretty messy, but states have all toughened on their DUI laws, and the days of establishing residency in another state to get around a suspension are over. You will be able to get a WI license. The only question is whether PA will make you wait for it and how long. You don't have a bad history and that counts in your favor. Other things tht would count would be whether there was an accident involved, a minor in the car, an excessively high BAC, for example. Again any additional penalties PA will depend upon PennDot's assessment of you.